Friday, October 28, 2011

Potato Soup

Well....the fall weather is definitely here...I have dug out our warm woolies and am changing our closets over from warm weather clothes to cold weather clothes.

Via Pinterest


CeCe & Co


Along with the warm clothes comes flannel sheets, fleece socks and slippers, hot tea, chai lattes and comfort foods...

Cozy flannel

Tazo Chai Latte

I have to admit, that when it comes to my Chai Lattes, I am a Starbucks snob....a friend of ours used to make his from scratch and he'd send us home with 'Mason' jars full of his homemade chai (oh how I miss that) ...Starbucks seems to have the closest recipe and well...I just enjoy that indulgence when I get one!  I don't drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages, so this is my treat!  Now, we do buy the Chai concentrate by 'Tazo' in decaf at the grocery store and make our own at home (it's a close second, plus you can't beat the savings compared to buying them at Starbucks)...usually we use just a bit over half chai to milk for our recipe, then some extra cinnamon sprinkled on top.


This week our comfort food was POTATO SOUP!!

Country Living Magazine

I found this recipe in a Country Magazine a few years ago and it was a hit!

It is super easy to make and always hits the spot!

Ingredients
* 6 slices crispy bacon, crumbled into pieces
* 3 pounds (about 5 large) Russet potatoes
* 3 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1/4 pound butter (1 stick)
* 2 2/3 cups whole milk
* 1/2 tsp black pepper
* 4 scallions, thinly sliced
* 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese


Directions:
1. Cook the bacon pieces over medium heat in a medium skillet until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper toweling to drain and set aside.
2. Peel, rinse, and cut the potatoes into thirds. Place them in a large pot with water to cover, add 2 teaspoons salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very soft -- about 45 minutes. Drain the potatoes, discarding the water, and return them to the pot. 
3. Mash them with a potato masher until smooth. Add the sour cream and butter and stir until melted. Add the milk, pepper, and remaining salt and bring the soup back to a simmer. 
4. Divide among 8 bowls and serve the soup hot, garnished with scallions, cheese, and bacon.



We also like to make some corn muffins to serve with our soup...I pick up the 'Betty Crocker' packages in the states...they are super yummy and easy to make!

Cornbread & Muffin Mix

It snowed this morning where my Mom lives, north of Toronto...it didn't stay on the ground, but the first flakes have fallen!! Yikes!!

I hope you all enjoy your weekend and maybe you'll make up your own comfort meals...share them with me if you'd like!!
muskokabailey@gmail.com

P.S. I have one more thing to add about Chai Lattes...the trick is to ask for NO WATER when ordering...that way it's not watered down and just the concentrate and milk are used...plus the BEST treat to go with your Chai is the CRANBERRY BLISS BAR!!!  It should hit the stores soon, they are seasonal and super yummy!!  I encourage you all to try one the next time you are there, or the pumpkin scones!

Cranberry Bliss Bars

I have found a 'Cranberry Bliss Bar' clone recipe...I am hoping to try it soon, I will let you know how it turns out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...