Saturday, April 09, 2011

Too early for summer salads?

I first had this salad at a friend's, daughter's birthday party.  I was hooked after the first bite! I usually make this salad in the summer because I can get local produce at the farmers market. My mouth is watering just thinking of all the flavours!!
With signs of spring popping up here and there along with a few days of warm weather...my taste buds are ready for something exciting again!!
This 'Panzanella' salad has been made by many, I have adapted mine from Barefoot Contessa's, her's can be found here....

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, I have been using Grapeseed oil
  • 1 small French bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large, ripe tomatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 english cucumber, unpeeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 red bell pepper, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/2 red onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly sliced
  • 20 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped

 Vinaigrette:

  • 1 tsp finely minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 3 tbsp vinegar - I have been using white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil - I have been using Grapeseed oil instead
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the bread and salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently,until browned, about 10 minutes. Add more oil as needed.
Vinegrette, whisk all the ingredients together.
In a large bowl, mix all the veggies, add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavours to blend.

Well...my first post...a yummy salad...let me know what you think after you make it!

1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo!
    Happy...way to go Pam!! I am excited to check in often!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...