Friday, July 15, 2011

Beach Glass

I'm not really sure when I started collecting beach glass...it's just something I've done since my Mom introduced me to it!


Some of you may not know what beach glass is...well here is a cute story...

The weekend I met my husband in Atlantic City, we walked the beach one morning and I was looking for beach glass...hubby said to me that he thought it was so nice of me to pick up glass so others wouldn't cut their feet on it. hee, hee  At the time I giggled and then explained how with the motion of the waves and the glass rolling around in the sand, polishes it and softens the edges and gives it a frosted look.


I would have to say that the 'blue' shades are my favourite...with the colbalt blue being my most fav. It is also one of the rarest to find.  You can always find the white, green and brown because they are the most common bottles that have been thrown away. But the dark blue can be Noxema jars, Milk of Magnesia bottles and other old medicine bottles. Even more rare are the reds, oranges and yellows!  I have been lucky enough to find a few red and I think 1 yellow in the past.



I always like to imagine what kind of bottle it was before it was smashed into a million pieces...a friend brought back a white piece from the Bahamas one year and it still had half the word 'Coke' on it!


I have now started Little Miss on collecting...she is learning how to spot them on the shore where the waves crash, you kinda have to train your eyes to find them.  So she has a little milk glass bowl in her room, with the pieces of beach glass that she has found.

A couple of weeks ago, Hubby, Little Miss and I went to a local beach we hadn't explored yet, just to check it out and it was like I hit the MOTHER LOAD!!  There was a LOT of beach glass...mostly in the white, green and browns.  I did however find 3 fairly large pieces of blue!  I couldn't believe it!  I was so excited to show my special finds to Hubby and Little Miss...this is them sitting, playing on the beach while I was walking down the shore!


I love the sound of the crashing waves and the smell of the water...not a stinky algae smell, but  that fresh water smell...anyone who spends time by the water (fresh water) should know what I mean.

Oh!  I found this link online for a 'glass beach'!  I can't wait to go to San Francisco again and take a drive up there!




What great beaches have you found for beach glass??



1 comment:

  1. Great write-up Pam.
    I, your mother, began collecting beach glass when at a beach in Scarborough, Toronto, when I was 12 yrs old. I used to display mine in a glass container with water in it to brighten up the beautiful colours. It sat on my bedroom windowsill, where the sun filtered in first thing in the morning. Some of the beach glass came from the depression glass pieces used in earlier yrs. thus, pink,purple,turquoise,red and apple green. I even used to find pieces of china with a little painted flower or pattern on some. I recognized some as they were part of pieces of china that came from boxes of clothes detergent or cereals.
    I'm glad you and "Little Miss" are enjoying this favourite past time of mine and "Big Grammy's" when at a beach!
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...